The meeting and convention industry is often criticized for its wastefulness. So when it comes to running a convention center, being green means much more than recycling.
Energy, water and waste conservation are the focus of our daily operating strategy. We minimize power consumption through sensor-controlled, high-efficiency lighting, cut energy-use in non-occupied spaces, and feature low-flow water devices in all BCEC restrooms.
We are also committed to using green products whenever possible – from our daily disinfectants to our vacuum cleaners, more than 80 percent of our cleaning products are environmentally responsible.
Our recycling programs reduce waste both inside the organization and out. Compost and recycling bins are stationed throughout office, meeting, loading dock and food preparation areas for both internal employees and visiting attendees.
At the BCEC and Hynes, event planners and exhibitors are encouraged to recycle through the MCCA’s Conventions C.A.R.E. (Community Assistance by Responsible Events) program. Through Conventions C.A.R.E., clean, usable, non-perishable donations are placed in bright blue bins at the end of an exhibition. The MCCA and its partners then assign and arrange the transport of these items to local non-profits.
Our food and beverage provider, Levy Restaurants, gets 56 percent of the food and beverage served at our convention centers from local vendors. We continue to host Local Vendor Fairs at the BCEC and Hynes to make this percentage grow.
Want to be greener at your next meeting?
- Take public transportation to and from the convention center
- Rent a Hubway bike and pedal around Boston
- Don’t print – go wireless! Carry your mobile device and use our free wireless to save on paper.
- Bring your own water bottle: we have spring water coolers in each meeting room.
- Recycle your paper, plastic and glass in the receptacles in each meeting room and pre-function area.
- Eating in the food court? Don’t throw out your leftovers! We offer compost collection bins in designated areas around the dining area.
- Exhibitors: donate your unused booth materials and products to the MCCA’s Conventions C.A.R.E. Program
- Meeting planners: work with your MCCA event manager to plan a zero waste meeting – we can help you make it happen!